Fire at the Church Part 1 (1906)

The fire of 23rd June 1906 that heavily damaged the church was reported in the Argus that evening and the article describes the scene that occurred that Saturday afternoon. It reports that smoke was noticed issuing from the church door windows at around 3pm by a man working in the Manor grounds. By the time Superintendent Lacroix arrived with the “Handy” and a contingent of fireman from Preston and Duke Street, the fire had a good hold of the organ and gallery and was moving along the roof and into the old tower. The nearest hydrant was some distance away but the firemen and some "willing helpers" managed to get a hose from the hydrant near the Preston Park Cricket Ground. The Argus notes t

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Twitter

© Friends of St Peter's Church 2018-20